Malayalam actor Unni Mukundan was born on 22 September 1987 in Ahmedabad to Mukundan Nair and Roji Mukundan. He is second of the two children of his parents, with an elder sister named Karthika Mukundan. His birth name is Unnikrishnan Mukundan Nair. Despite being a Keralite and now predominantly working in Mollywood, Unni Mukundan's debut occurred in a Tamil movie, Seedan, which incidentally is a remake of the Malayalam movie Nandanam.
Unni Mukundan's Malayalam debut happened with the Babu Janardhanan directed drama film Bombay March 12. This Mammootty starrer is based on the 1993 Bombay bomb blasts. Despite being a big star movie and critically well received, this movie failed at the box office.
Unni Mukundan got his breakthrough with the Malayalam movie, Mallu Singh directed by Visakh in 2012. He later acted in starring roles in movies like I Love Me, Ithu Pathiramanal, Vikramadithyan, KL 10 Patthu, Style, Kaattum Mazhayum, Oru Murai Vanthu Parthaya, Achayans, Clint, Masterpiece etc.
Unni Mukundan is a fitness freak. He is one of the few actors in Mollywood with well-maintained physique. His nickname in Malayalam Cinema is Muscle Aliyan.
Unni Mukundan Early Life
Unni Mukundan aka Unnikrishan Mukundan was born to Mukundan and Roji on 22nd September,1987. He has an elder sister, Karthika. Unni spent most of his childhood at Maninagar, Gujarat where his family then lived. While growing up, he worked briefly in a BPO as a part-time job. He used to take part in athletics at school and also started attending training sessions. He was a part of ‘Sensations’ in Surya TV, which specialized in showcasing young talent. He was selected ‘Model Of the Week’ during the show and subsequently, the exposure helped him bag a feature at the Desert India Fashion Week, Jaipur. He was selected Mr. Physique and Mr. Photogenic in the program.
Unni Mukundan Family
Unni Mukundan Family Father Mother
Unni Mukundan is the son of Madathiparambil Mukundan and Roji of Villadam, Thrissur. He has an elder sister, Karthika.
Unni Mukundan Career
Unni Mukundan had been an acquaintance with AK Lohithadas, the late scriptwriter and director of classics like Thaniyavarthanam and Bhoothakannadi and writer of His Highness Abdulla and Bharatham. They used to discuss films at the filmmaker’s home Amaravathy at Lakkidi. Lohithadas had planned a character for Unni in his magnum opus, Bheeshmar. The work left unfinished due to Lohithadas’ untimely death.
Unni later made his debut as a lead actor with Seedan, the Tamil remake of Malayalam super hit, Nandanam. The film garnered positive reviews and paved way for his entry into Malayalam films. He made his debut in Malayalam with Bombay 1992 March 12. This critically acclaimed Babu Janardhanan movie had him star alongside Megastar Mammootty. The movie was screened at the International Film Festival of India in 2011.
Unni’s next was Bangkok Summer, directed by Pramod Pappan and was completely shot in Bangkok. The movie fared average at the box office and the actor took a break after the movie. He was seen in the following year in TK Rajeev Kumar’s Thalsamayam Oru Penkutti opposite Nithya Menen. The film’s success raised the career graph of Unni Mukundan. Hit director Vyshakh roped in the actor for his directorial venture Mallu Singh which presented him with a much-needed breakthrough. Unni played the titular character and the movie turned out to be a success.
In the same year, Unni starred in three more movies, Ezham Suryan by Njanasheelan, I Love Me by Unnikrishnan and The Hit List directed by actor Bala.
2013 saw the actor featured in more gritty dramas like Orissa and D Company. He also starred in M Padmakumar’s Ithu Pathiramanal.
Vikramadhithyan, the biggest hit in Unni Mukundan’s career came in 2014. The film had him share screen space with Dulquer Salmaan and was a super hit. He was next seen in Rajadhiraja, the Mammootty starrer directed by Ajai Vasudev which again, turned out to be a superhit.
He appeared as Shahjahan in Deepu Karunakaran’s Fireman (2015), which had him share screen space with Mammootty again. In Samrajyam II : Son of Alexander, Unni played Jordan, son of Gangster Alexander. The movie was a sequel to the 1990 superhit, Samrajyam with Mammootty playing the title role of Alexander. Muhsin Parari made his debut with KL 10 Patthu in 2015 and had Unni Mukundan play Ahmad in his film. The movie was a sleeper hit and was appreciated for its presentation of Malabar life.
Unni Mukundan’s releases in 2016 inlcude Kaattum Mazhayum, Oru Murai Vanthu Parthaya and Janatha Garage. While the first two didn’t make much impact at the box-office, the bilingual flick Janatha Garage made success at Malayalam as well as Telugu box offices.
In 2017, Unni Mukundan shared screen space with Jayaram in the multi-star film Achayans directed by Kannan Thamrakulam. The movie failed to impress at the theatres while his next movies Avarude Ravukal, Ira, and Masterpiece also ended up as average fares against the extended cameo role in Tovino Thomas' Tharangam which came out in the same year.
2018 started on a high note for Unni Mukudan with the success of Anushka Shetty's multilingual horror film Bhaagamathie in which he starred opposite to the lady star. His first Malayalam movie of the year was Ira. The movie couldn't create an impact at the box office.
Other Roles within The Industry
Unni Mukundan, apart from acting, has also sung for a couple of his films. He made his debut as a lyricist and playback singer in 2017 by penning and crooning a song for the movie Achayans. He has also rendered songs for the movie Chanakyathanthram and Oru Kuttanadan Blog. The actor has also donned the cap of an assistant director by assisting popular director Sethu in 2018 directorial Oru Kuttandan Blog starring Mammootty.
Unni Mukundan Awards
- Asianet Film Award, Best New Face of the Year, Bombay March 12, Won, 2011
- Asiavision Award, Best New Face, Bombay March 12, won, 2011
- Vanitha Film Award, Best New Face, Bombay March 12, Won, 2011
- Jaihindi TV Award, Best New Comer, Bombay March 12, Won, 2011
- Amritha Award, Best Debut Actor, Bombay March 12, Won, 2011
- SIIMA Award, Best Debut Actor, Bombay March 12, 2011
Unni Mukundan Education
The actor had made his debut in films shortly after his plus two. Unni later in 2014 enrolled in a college at Thrissur to pursue a Bachelor’s in English and Journalism.
Unni Mukundan Trivia & Facts
- Made his debut in Tamil with ‘Seedan’
- Malayalam debut of the actor was ‘Bombay March 12’
- Was nominated for a Vijay Award for Best Debut for ‘Seedan’
- Ranked fifth by the Kochi Times in their poll for ‘Most Desirable Men 2015’
- Hails from Villadam, Thrissur in Kerala.
- Was brought up in Maninagar, Gujarat
- Had a close bond with famed scriptwriter and director, AK Lohithadas till his death.
- Often called ‘Muscle Aliyan’ for his penchant for working out and having a toned physique.
Unni Mukundan Controversies
- The actor was dragged into a controversy when social media reporting him allegedly dating Oru Murai Vanthu Parthaya actress Sanusha. The social media mills rumored about an imminent marriage. The actor took on to his official Facebook page and cleared the air that he is not in a relationship with the actress.
- Reports claimed Unni Mukundan slapped director Major Ravi during the filming of Joshiy’s Salaam Kashmir. Unni accused the director of verbally abusing him.
- In 2017, a woman filed a case against Unni Mukundan for allegedly molesting her at his house when she visited to discuss a project with him. A week before this molestation allegation came out, the actor had filed a complaint filed a case against a woman for blackmailing him and demanding `25 lakh unless he married her.
Unni Mukundan Social Profiles
Your feedback helps us build a more accurate and exhaustive profile. If you have suggestions, fun facts, anecdotes to share, please let us know in the comments.