Ranveer Singh is an actor who predominantly works in Bollywood film industry. Ranveer had made herself an established and one of the leading actors in Hindi cinema. The actor is a recipient of several accolades including two Filmfare awards. Ranveer currently is one of the highest paid actors in the industry. Ranveer's notable works can be seen in movies like Bajirao Mastani, Dil Dhadakne Do, and the most recent and controversial movie Padmaavat.
Ranveer Singh Early Life
Ranveer Singh was born in a Sindhi family in Mumbai. Ranveer Singh always aspired to become an actor. Ranveer used to participate in school plays and debates. Ranveer felt the thrill of acting and dancing when his grandmother asked him to dance and entertain her on a birthday party. While Ranveer danced on the 90's hit song 'Chumma Chumma' song from Hum, he felt more drawn towards the entertainment world. After learning that getting a break in the filmy world is difficult, Ranveer took theatre as a minor during his studies.
Before stepping into Bollywood film industry, Ranveer Singh worked as a copywriter in agencies like O&M and J. Walter Thompson. Ranveer later worked as an assistant director but left it to pursue acting full time. After sending his portfolios to numerous casting agencies, Ranveer didn't get any big roles or good opportunities until 2010.
Ranveer Singh Family
Ranveer Singh Family Uncle
Father Mother Sister Cousin
Born and brought up in Mumbai, Maharashtra into a Sindhi family, to businessman Jagjit Singh Bhavnani and housewife Anju Singh Bhavnani. Ranveer's grandparents Chand Burke and Sunder Singh Bhavnani moved from Karachi to Mumbai during the partition of India and Pakistan. Ranveer has an elder sister Ritika Bhavnani. Ranveer is related to Bollywood actor Anil Kapoor, as Anil's children Sonam, Rhea, and Harshvardhan Kapoor are Ranveer's maternal second cousins.
Ranveer Singh Family Images
Ranveer Singh Career
Ranveer Singh debuted in Bollywood with Band Baaja Baaraat. The head of the casting division for Yash Raj Films, Shanoo Sharma called Ranveer Singh for an audition, impressed by his acting, the vice president Aditya Chopra, decided to cast Ranveer for the lead as Bittoo Sharma in the movie. However, the debutant director Maneesh Sharma was still uncertain about having Ranveer onboard. He called Ranveer to audition for two weeks straight before finally offering him the role. Thus Ranveer made his debut opposite Anushka Sharma in Band Baaja Baarat, in 2010. The movie went on to become a sleeper hit with critics appreciating Ranveer's performance as a quintessential Delhi boy. Ranveer won multiple awards including Filmfare Awards in the Best Male Debut category.
Following the moderate success of Band Baaja Baarat, Ranveer signed another film under the Yash Raj Films banner Ladies vs Ricky Bahl directed by Maneesh Sharma. This was second collaboration of Ranveer with Anushka Sharma. The movie received a mixed response from the critics as well as from the audience. Ranveer next appeared in Vikramaditya Motwane's a period romance, Lootera along with Sonakshi Sinha. Lootera received critical appreciation and performance of Ranveer Singh was highly acclaimed. However, the movie failed to impress the audience and performed poorly at the box office.
Ranveer next starred in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela. The movie was adapted from William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Ranveer starred opposite Deepika Padukone. The movie received positive reviews to become a blockbuster hit. His portrayal of Ram, a Gujarati boy, based on the character of Romeo, garnered him a much-needed recognition in the industry. Ranveer reportedly said that, for his role, he learned the new language and because of his outstanding performance, Ranveer emerged as the Bollywood star.
Ranveer earned the nomination for Best Actor male in several award functions. Ranveer's next was Ali Abbas Zafar's action thriller Gunday. Ranveer played the character of a Bengali criminal and starred along with Priyanka Chopra Arjun Kapoor. The movie proved to be the biggest opener for Ranveer and was a box-office success. Ranveer next appeared in Shaad Ali's Kill Dill which was a huge box office disappointment. Ranveer also made cameo appearances in movies like Hey Bro, Bombay Talkies, and Finding Fanny.
In 2015, Ranveer appeared in Zoya Akhtar's multi-starrer movie Dil Dhadakne Do. The movie was commercially successful and Ranveer's character as Kabir was well received by the audience and critics. Ranveer again collaborated with Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Deepika Padukone for the epic romance Bajirao Mastani. For his portrayal of Bajirao I, Ranveer shaved his head and locked himself up in his hotel room for 21 days without tv, phone and internet. Bajirao Mastani became one of the highest grossing Indian films. Ranveer's performance won him several awards including Filmfare Award for the Best Actor.
In 2016, Ranveer again collaborated with Yash Raj Films for the movie Befikre along with Vaani Kapoor. Ranveer portrayed the character of quintessential Delhi boy Dharam who in search of work in Paris meets Shyra, a tourist guide. The movie received negative reviews and was a box-office failure. Ranveer last appeared in the most controversial Bollywood film Padmaavat. Padmaavat marked his third collaboration with Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Deepika Padukone. Ranveer played the role of a cruel, ruthless king Alauddin Khilji and his performance was highly appreciated. Even being in the middle of controversies, Padmaavat made it in the list of India's the highest grossers.
For the movie Padmaavat, Ranveer received Dadasaheb Phalke Excellent Awards in Best Actor category. Ranveer Singh has multiple projects lined up for him. He will be next seen in Zoya Akhtar's Gully Boy along with Alia Bhatt and Rohit Shetty's Simmba opposite Sara Ali Khan. It is also reported that Ranveer is committed to a biopic on the life of Indian cricketer Kapil Dev, the movie is yet to have a title.
Ranveer Singh Awards
In 8 years of his acting careers, Ranveer Singh has won many accolades for his energetic, and powerful performances in movies like Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela, Dil Dhadakne Do, Bajirao Mastani, and Padmaavat. Ranveer has also received other accolades like Entertainer Of The Year awards for his unrivalled and entertaining acts.
Ranveer Singh Awards List Year Movie Category Award 2010 Band Baaja Baaraat Best Male Debut
Band Baaja Baaraat
Best Debut Male Award Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Awards 2016 Baajirao Mastani Best Actor Filmfare Awards 2016 N/A
Entertainer of the Year
NDTV Indian of the Year Awards
Entertainer of the Year
HELLO! Hall of Fame Awards
Dadasaheb Phalke Excellent Awards
Entertainment Leader of the Year
NBC TV-18 Business Leader Awards
Ranveer Singh Favourites
Ranveer Singh Favourites Food Chocolates, Cheese, Chinese, Besan Ladoo, Mutton Curry Color Red, White Sports Football Director Singers Michael Jackson, Beyonce, Actor Shahrukh Khan, Scarlett Johansson, Meghan Fox, Movie Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge Vehicle Jaguar XJL, Mercedes Benz E-Class, & Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Music Rap Songs and Old Bollywood Songs Holiday Spot Goa
Ranveer Singh Education
Ranveer studied at H.R. College of Commerce and Economics in Mumbai and later he went to the United States for his further studies. Ranveer received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Indiana University. During this course, Ranveer also took theatre as his minor.
Ranveer Singh Endorsements
The funky, energetic Ranveer Singh is the proud endorser of more than 17 brands including Ching's, Adidas, Durex, Jack & Jones and Head & Shoulders. Watch his Ching's ad cum short film which also features Tamannaah, here.
Catch the photos and of Ranveer during brand promotions:
Ranveer Singh Trivia & Facts
- Ranveer grandparents migrated from Karachi to Mumbai after the partition of India
- Ranveer always aspired to become an actor, he used to participate in school functions, debates, and plays
- Ranveer worked as a copywriter before joining Bollywood as an actor. Ranveer worked for agencies like J. Walter Thompson and O&M
- If not actor, Ranveer would have pursued Djing as his career
- Ranveer dropped out his surname 'Bhavnani' as he felt that it would not sound like a superstar's name.
- Before bagging his debut role as Bittoo in Band Baaja Baaraat, Ranveer was called continuously for two weeks for the audition until the casting crew was finally satisfied with his calibre.
- Ranveer was the initial choice for the lead role in the film Bombay Velvet, however, due to his busy schedule, the role eventually went to Ranbir Kapoor.
- For his role in Bajirao Mastani, Ranveer shaved his head and locked himself up in his hotel room for 21 days without using TV, phone or even internet.
- While performing a dangerous stunt scene for Bajirao Mastani, Ranveer accidentally tore the ligaments of his right shoulder and was rushed to the hospital for a surgery.
- Apart from being an incredible actor, Ranveer is also an amazing rapper. Watch the video of Don't Hold Back ft. Ranveer Singh.
- Ranveer is known for his peculiar fashion sense, the actor reportedly owns a collection of more than 100 hats and more than 200 shoes
- Ranveer's song 'Nashe Se Chadh Gayi' from Befikre has more than 425 million views on YouTube making it one of the most viewed Hindi song of all times
- Ranveer is a die-hard football fan and his favourite football team in 'Arsenal Football Club'
Ranveer Singh Affairs
- Ranveer dated Dharmendra and Hema Malini's daughter Ahana Deol for a brief period of time during his college time. Ranveer and Ahana were part of the same friend circle. However, their relationship didn't last long. Ahana is now married to Vaibhav Vohra, a Delhi based businessman.
- Ranveer Singh and actress Anushka Sharma started dating after meeting on the sets of Band Baaja Baaraat. The actresses on several occasions denied their relationship. According to the reports, the couple broke up on a bitter note due to some differences. However, the duo remained close friends till now.
- Ranveer is currently rumoured to be dating Bollywood diva Deepika Padukone. The couple hasn't announced their relationship officially, but their presence at several events fuels up the rumours of their being together.
Ranveer Singh Controversies
- In 2012, Ranveer Singh first involved in a controversy. Ranveer posted a tweet about Salman-Katrina starrer Ek Tha Tiger saying, "While I was passing through a multiplex people after seeing Ek Tha Tiger was asking for TIGER BAAM". This tweet created a lot of controversies and he faced criticism from the film industry as well from his fans
- It was also rumoured that Ranveer's father paid the makers of Band Baaja Baaraat a sum of 10 crores for his son's debut. However, Ranveer denied this saying, "Bullshit. My dad was going through a very lean period. There was no question of him having paid money to anyone. These are all rumours."
- In 2015, while shooting for his film Dil Dhadakne Do, he blew a kiss to his co-actor Priyanka Chopra in front of everyone which made the actress angry. Later during a promotional event for the movie, Priyanka taunted Ranveer for his 'over-enthusiastic acting' and also said, that she will never work with Ranveer ever again
- In 2015, Ranveer appeared as a 'Roast' in a Roast comedy show 'All India Bakchod Knockout (AIB Knockout)'. An FIR was registered against the actor for obscenity and usage of abusive language in public
- In 2017, Ranveer tweeted a monochrome photo of himself and captioned it 'Losing My Religion'. The photo went viral with people trolling the actor heavily. It was later revealed that the caption 'Losing My Religion' was a famous song by American rock-band REM. However, the actor was still in controversy over this for quite a sometime
Ranveer Singh Miscellaneous
Ranveer Singh is known for his peculiar fashion sense and often amaze the audience with loud, colourful and unique fashion style. Ranveer is also known to portray famous icons. See some cool and funky photos of Ranveer Singh here.
Ranveer Singh Social Profiles
Your feedback helps us build a more accurate and exhaustive profile. If you have suggestions, fun facts, anecdotes to share, please let us know in the comments.