Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is one of the most beautiful Indian actresses on the face of Earth. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Devdas, Raincoat and Provoked are some of her notable movies. She is the brand ambassador of several charity organizations. The 44-year-old gorgeous lady is the first Indian actress to become the jury member of Cannes Film Festival. Rai is the wife of Abhishek Bachchan and thus the daughter-in-law of superstar Amitabh Bachchan. She has a daughter named Aaradhaya. Last seen in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil in 2016, the actress' future line of projects include a musical comedy named Fanne Khan and Raat Aur Din remake.
Aishwarya Rai Early Life
Aishwarya Rai was born on 1st November 1973 in a Tuluva Bunt family in Mangaluru, Karnataka. She got trained in classical dance and music for five years in her teenage.
Rai looks pretty as a child in the below pictures.
In college, Rai did a few modeling jobs and appeared in TV commercials. She won an international supermodel contest conducted by Ford, a multinational automaker and later on featured on the American edition of fashion and lifestyle magazine, Vogue.
Here are Rai's teenage pictures!
In 1994, she became the runner-up for Miss India pageant behind Sushmita Sen and was eventually crowned the Femina Miss India World 1994 and won five other subtitles. She went on to win the Miss World 1994 title at Sun City, South Africa. After being crowned, Rai expressed her desire to become the ambassador of peace during her one year reign in London. She continued modeling until she became an actress.
Miss World Title and Subtitles
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Miss World Title and Subtitles Year Title/Subtitle 1994 Miss World 1994 1994 Miss World Continental Queen of Beauty − Asia and Oceania 1994 Miss Photogenic 2000 Most Beautiful Miss World of All Times-Received the highest score of 9.911 2010 The Most Beautiful Miss World ever for the second time in 2010 by Global Beauties Magazine 2014 Declared as the Most Successful Miss World of All Times by Miss World Organisation 2014
Lifetime Beauty With a Purpose Award for charitable work by Miss World Organisation
Here is the beautiful Rai with her Miss World 1994 crown.
Femina Miss India Title and Subtitles
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Femina Miss India Title and Subtitles Year Category 1994 Miss India World 1994 Miss Catwalk 1994 Miss Miraculous 1994 Miss Photogenic 1994 Miss Perfect Ten 1994 Miss Popular 1994 Most Photogenic Face
Rai looks dreamy with the Femina Miss India 1994 Crown in the below pictures.
Aishwarya Rai Family
Aishwarya Rai Family Father
Aishwarya Rai is the daughter of late Krishnaraj, an Army biologist and Brinda, a homemaker. Rai has an elder brother named Aditya Rai, who is an engineer in the merchant navy.
Coming to her in-law's family, she is the wife of Abhishek Bachchan and so is the daughter-in-law of Amitabh Bachchan. Jaya Bachchan is her mother-in-law and Shweta Bachchan-Nanda is Rai's sister-in-law.
Take a look at Rai's endearing family pictures below.
Aishwarya Rai Career
Debut with Iruvar
Aishwarya Rai made her debut with Mani Ratnam's Tamil movie Iruvar, in which she featured in a dual role. Her character of Kalpana in the movie was a fictional portrayal of former actress and politician Jayalalithaa. Rai's lines were dubbed by Tamil actress Rohini in this movie that went on to become a critical success. The same year she played the role of Ashi in Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya. While both the movies were commercial duds, Rai won her first award-the Screen Award for Best Female Debut for the latter film.
In the next year, Rai was seen in S. Shankar's romantic drama Jeans, for which she was praised for her acting and dancing skills. Rai dubbed for her lines in this movie. She next featured in the melodrama Aa Ab Laut Chalen, which was a critical failure and a below average movie at the box office.
Bags Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Film
In 1999, Aishwarya Rai acted in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's romantic drama movie Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, which introduced her to overnight stardom. The movie was a major commercial success earning Rai her first Filmfare Award for Best Actress.
Rai next chose to play the role of an aspiring singer in Subhash Ghai's movie Taal. It was a moderate domestic success but garnered international acclaim as it was the first Indian film to find its place in top twenty listing at the American box-office.
In 2000, Rai featured in a Tamil movie Kandukondain Kandukondain, which is an adaptation of Jane Austen's novel Sense and Sensibility. The movie turned out to be a critical and commercial success and earned Rai positive reviews.
Rai next played the role of a twin sister to Shah Rukh Khan in action drama movie Josh, which garnered mixed reviews but turned out to be a commercial success. She portrayed a rape victim in Satish Kaushik's Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai, which brought positive critic reviews but performed moderately at the box office. Then she featured opposite Abhishek Bachchan in Dhai Akshar Prem Ke, which turned out to be a flop.
Eventually, Rai bagged the role of Megha Shankar, who commits suicide because her father wouldn't agree with her romance with one of his students, in Aditya Chopra's Mohabbatein, which became the second highest-grossing film of 2000. Next, she was seen in Albela, for which she garnered negative reviews.
International Recognition with Devdas
Rai featured in slapstick comedy Hum Kisise Kum Nahin, after which she bagged the role of Paro in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's love-saga Devdas. The movie was screened at 2002 Cannes Film Festival and found its place in the 10 best films of the millennium list. The flick was a major international success and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Rai won her second Filmfare award under the category of Best Actress.
Next, Rai acted in two movies Dil Ka Rishta, which was co-produced by her brother and Kuch Na Kaho; none performed well both critically and commercially. She played the role of Binodini, a widow with sexual desires in Rituparno Ghosh's Chokher Bali, which was a major critical success and a sleeper hit.
Rai featured in Rajkumar Santoshi's action thriller movie Khakee, in which she plays the role of a double agent. The movie was a moderate critical and commercial success. Then she acted in Kyun! Ho Gaya Na... opposite Vivek Oberoi, the film was received moderately but failed at the box office.
In 2004, Rai garnered international recognition with Gurinder Chadha's British film Bride and Prejudice, a Bollywood-style adaptation of Jane Austen's novel Pride and Prejudice. The film was a commercial success. The 44-year-old beauty marked her second collaboration with Rituparno Ghosh in drama movie Raincoat, which received wide critical acclaim. The movie won National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi. Rai received negative reviews for her acting in the movie Shabd.
In 2005, Rai played the role of Tilo, in Paul Mayeda Berges's romantic fantasy film The Mistress of Spices, which turned out to be a critical and commercial failure. The same year she surprised the world with her dance on Kajra Re song in the movie Bunty Aur Babli.
In 2006, Aishwarya Rai featured in J. P. Dutta's Umrao Jaan and Yash Raj Films' Dhoom 2. While the former performed poorly at the box office, the latter marked Rai's first major commercial success after Devdas. Dhoom 2 wasn't received well by the critics but was a blockbuster as it became the highest grossing Indian film of 2006.
In 2007, Rai became Abhishek Bachchan's wife on the silver screens for Mani Ratnam's Guru, which tells the rags to riches story of business tycoon Dhirubhai Ambani. The movie received international critical acclaim and was a box-office success. Then she played the role of a wife, who murders her husband due to domestic violence in Provoked, which depicts the real-life story of Kiranjit Ahluwalia. The movie was a moderate commercial success in the United Kingdom.
Rai gained commercial and critical success with Ashutosh Gowariker's period romance movie Jodhaa Akbar. Then she featured in Sarkar Raj alongside Abhishek Bachchan and Amitabh Bachchan, the film was a critical and commercial success.
Next, Rai played the role of a seductive criminology expert in Pink Panther 2. The movie garnered negative reviews and made a moderate business at the American box office. In 2010, Rai featured in the Mani Ratnam's bilingual modern take of Indian epic Ramayana. The Tamil version, Raavanan was a success, while the Hindi one, Raavan couldn't do well.
Acts Opposite Rajinikanth
Rai tasted success with S. Shankar's science fiction movie Enthiran, wherein she plays the role of a girlfriend to a scientist, portrayed by superstar Rajinikanth. The movie became one of the highest grossing films of all time. She played the role of Mala in Action Replayy, which was a box office flop.
In 2010, Rai accepted to act in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's drama Guzaarish, without reading the script. She portrayed the role of a nurse, who takes care of a quadriplegic magician. The movie received positive reviews from critics, but was a box office dud. In 2011, Rai was cast in Madhur Bhandarkar's Heroine but was replaced by Kareena Kapoor due to her pregnancy.
Work after break
Aishwarya Rai made a comeback with Sanjay Gupta's Jazbaa wherein she played the role of a mother, who defends rapist for her daughter's safety. The film garnered mixed reviews but reaped profits at the box office.
In 2016, Rai featured in Omung Kumar's Sarbjit, which is based on the life of Sarabjit Singh, a farmer who is convicted of terrorism, her sister fights for his release. Rai played the role of the sister in this film, which was premiered at the 69th Cannes Film Festival. The movie received mixed reviews and underperformed at the box office. In the same year, Rai played the role of a poetess in Karan Johar's Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, which was a major commercial success.
Rai's future projects include musical comedy Fanne Khan alongside Anil Kapoor and Rajkummar Rao and 1967 movie Raat Aur Din remake, in which she will be playing the role of a woman suffering from the dissociative identity disorder.
Here are beautiful looks of Aishwarya in her movies.
Aishwarya Rai Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan had won Screen Award for Best Female Debut for her performance in Rahul Rawail's romance film Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya in 1997, the year of her film career debut. In the year 2017, Rai was presented the Dadasaheb Phalke Award Rai under Best Actress category for her performance in the movie Sarbjit.
In 2009, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan created a history as she was the first youngest actress to be presented India's fourth highest civilian award, Padma Shri, from the Government of India for her contribution in the film industry.
In the same year, she was accorded Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (Order of the Arts and Literature), France's second highest civilian award by the French Government for her exceptional career in 2009. However, she refused to receive the award that year since her father was suffering from a serious illness and she wanted her whole family to attend the event. She accepted the award in 2012.
Other than the above, she has won a huge number of awards in her career. Let's take a look at them below.
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Filmfare Awards Year Category Movie 1998 Filmfare Best Actress Award South Jeans 2000 Filmfare Best Actress Award Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam 2003 Filmfare Best Actress Award Devdas
Rai has been presented Filmfare Special Centenary Award in 2013.
Star Screen Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Star Screen Awards Year Category Movie 1997 Star Screen Award Most Promising Newcomer - Female Aur Pyar Ho Gaya 1997 Star Screen Awards Discovery of the year 1999 Star Screen Award Best Actress Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam 2002 Star Screen Award Jodi No. 1 Devdas (shared with Shahrukh Khan) 2002 Star Screen Award Best Actress Devdas 2009 Star Screen Award for Best Actress (Popular Choice) Jodhaa Akbar 2011 Star Screen Award Jodi No. 1 Guzaarish (shared with Hrithik Roshan)
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Stardust Awards Year Category Movie 2007 Stardust Star of the Year Award - Female Dhoom 2 2011 Stardust Award for Best Drama Actress Guzaarish 2015 Power-packed Performer of the Year Jazbaa 2016 Editor’s Choice Most Iconic Performance of the Year Sarbjit
Zee Cine Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan won the Lux Face of the Year Award in 2000 and True Indian Beauty Award in 2003.
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Zee Cine Awards Year Category Movie 2000 Zee Cine Award Best Actor - Female Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam 2003 Zee Cine Award Best Actor - Female Devdas 2005 Zee Cine Critics' Best Actor Award- Female Raincoat 2011 Zee Cine Critics' Best Actor Award Female For Guzaarish
International Indian Film Academy Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan was awarded IIFA Best Actress Award for her performance in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam in 2010 and IIFA Best Actress Award for her acting in Devdas in 2003.
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's IIFA Awards Year Category 2005 IIFA Global Indian Media Personality Award 2007 IIFA Glamorous Star Award 2007 IIFA Most Searched Personality on MSN India 2009 IIFA Star of the Decade - Female 2009 IIFA Outstanding Achievement by an Indian in International Cinema
Zee Gold Bollywood Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Zee Gold Bollywood Awards Year Category Movie 2000 Zee Gold Best Actress Award Taal 2000 Zee Gold Best Actress in a sensational Taal 2000 Zee Gold Critics Best Actress Award Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
Big Zee Entertainment Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Big Zee Entertainment Awards Year Category Movie 2017 BIG Zee Most Entertaining Actor in a Drama Film - Female Sarbjit 2017 BIG Zee Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic Film - Female Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Vijay Awards Year Category Movie 2010 Vijay Award for Best Actress Raavanan 2010 Vijay Award for Favourite Heroine Enthiran
Producers Guild Film Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan was presented with the Critics' Choice Cinematic Excellence Best Actress for her acting in Devdas in 2010 and won HTC Honour along with her husband Abhishek Bachchan in 2013.
BIG Star Entertainment Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan took home BIG Star Film Actor (Female) of the Decade in 2010.
V. Shantaram Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan was presented V. Shantaram award under Best Actress category for her work in Devdas in 2003. She also won the same award under Best Actress category for her role in Jodhaa Akbar in 2009.
Anandlok Puraskar Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan walked away with Anandlok Puraskar Award for Chokher Bali in 2003 and Anandlok Award for Best Actress (Hindi) for Raavan.
Rai was presented with the Westpac IFFM Excellence in Global Cinema at Indian Film Festival of Melbourne in 2017. She also walked away with IFFAA Best Actress Award for her role in Sarbjit in 2017. The 44-year-old actress won Bollywood Movie Award for Best Actress category for her performance in Devdas in 2003. Rai was presented Lion Gold Awards under the category of Best Actress of the Year for Sarbjit in 2017. She won Sansui Best Actress award for Devdas in 2002.
Filmfare Glamour & Style Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Filmfare Glamour & Style Awards Year Category 2014 Global Icon of the year (Female) 2014 Most Glamorous Real-Life Couple (Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan) 2015 Global Icon of the year (Female) 2015 Most Glamorous Real-Life Couple (Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan) 2016 Most Glamorous Star (Female) 2016 Trendsetter Of The Year
Hindustan Times (HT) Most Stylish Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Hindustan Times (HT) Most Stylish Awards Year Category 2015 The Most Stylish Couple of the Year Award ( Aishwarya Rai Bachchan & Abhishek Bachchan) 2015 Most Stylish Global Icon of the Year (Female) 2016 Most Stylish Female Superstar award 2016 Most Stylish Couple (Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan) 2018 Timeless Style Diva
Vogue India Beauty Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Vogue India Beauty Awards Year Category 2011 Global Beauty Icon award 2017 Most Beautiful Global Indian Icon of the Decade 2017 Vogue Influencer of the Decade
Femina Beauty Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Femina Beauty Awards Year Category 2012 The Iconic Woman of Worth Award 2018 Global Beauty Icon 2018 Powerhouse Entertainer for Two Decades
HELLO! Hall of Fame Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's HELLO! Hall of Fame Awards Year Category 2010 Global Icon Award 2016 Glamour Icon of the Year
GQ Men of The Year Awards (India)
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's GQ Men of The Year Awards (India) Year Category 2010 "Global Indian Woman" or woman of substance 2010 Excellence Award
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Cosmopolitan Awards Year Category 2011 Female of All Time 2012 Power Couple (Aishwarya & Abhishek)
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's MTV Awards Year Award Category Song/Movie 2005 MTV Immies Best Performance in a Song Kajra Re 2007 MTV Lycra Style Awards Most Stylish Female Dhoom 2 2007 MTV Lycra Style Awards Most Stylish Couple along with Hrithik Roshan Dhoom 2
NDTV Indian of the Year Awards
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's NDTV Indian of the Year Awards Year Category 2010 Icon of 21 years of Entertainment Award 2010 Indian Icon of the year
Miscellaneous Awards (Film and Acting)
Miscellaneous Awards Year Award and Category Movie 2000 Priyadarshini International Best Actress Award Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam 2000 Rupa Filmgoers Millennium Best Actress Award Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam 2000 Stardust Millenium Best Actress Award Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam 2001 BWSX Fantasy Best Supporting Actress Award Mohabbatein 2002 RACE Best Actress Award Devdas 2008 Central European Bollywood Awards Best Actress Award Guru 2011 Big Ima Music Awards - The best Visualized Female Song Udi Guzaarish
Miscellaneous Awards (Beauty)
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan won Global Foreign Artiste Debutantes to Mainstream Media Award in 2004.
Miscellaneous Beauty Awards Year Award Category 2004 F Awards-For Excellence in Indian Fashion Female Celebrity Model of the Year 2006 Zee Astitva Awards Outstanding Contribution to Cinema 2008 Reebok Zoom Glam Awards Glam Couple Award along with Abhishek Bachchan 2009 Indian Youth Icon Awards Global Face of the Year 2010 Masala Awards Global Artist Of The Year 2010 DNA India Style Awards Beauty Icon Award 2016 NRI Of The Year Award Global Indian of the Year Award
Aishwarya Rai Honors
Aishwarya Rai has been honored by many awards from all around the world. Here is the list of honors bestowed on her.
- Smita Patil Memorial Award for Best Actress in 2000.
- Rajiv Gandhi Award for Excellence in the Field of Entertainment in 2002.
- GR8! Women Award for Contribution to her Cinema (Special Laurel) in 2004.
- The India Today Women Award for Global Achievement in 2010.
- GR8! Women Award for social services and international recognition in 2010.
- A newer, sweeter variety of guava, produced by Padma Shri winner horticulturist Haji Kaleemullah was named after her in 2011.
- IIFA-FICCI Frames Excellence Awards - Decade of Global Achievement for contribution to Hindi cinema and acting in 2011.
- Rai was honored by Karnataka Chief Minister B. S. Yeddyurappa at World Kannada Meet (Vishwa Kannada Sammelana) for her contributions to the field of arts in 2011.
- Asiavision Awards - Icon Of India in 2014.
- President of India Ram Nath Kovind honoured Rai by titling her under First Ladies for being the first actor to be recognized as a Global Icon from India and first Indian actor to become the jury member of Cannes Film Festival. Taking this into account, Ministry of Women and Child Development of Government of India have added her to the list of 112 women achievers who have achieved a first in any field and hence made India proud.
- The Bunt community accorded Aishwarya Rai with Woman of Substance title in 2018.
International Honours and Recognitions:
- Brand ambassador of Longines, which is one of the oldest watches brand found in 1832.
- Most beautiful International title holder of all times in 2000.
- The only actress to be ranked 7th in the list of Most Admired Indians, a survey conducted by The Week in 2000.
- Forbes named Rai in the top 5 Indian actresses list in 2001.
- Called The Queen of Cannes.
- Became the second Indian actress after Parveen Babi, whose picture was put on TIME Asian cover page in 2003.
- Became the first Indian actress to be a part of L’Oréal dream team in 2003.
- Voted as the most attractive woman of 2003 by Hello magazine.
- Became the first Indian actor to have appeared in Rolling Stone annual Hot List in 2003.
- Became first Indian actress to have her own statue at Madame Tussauda museum, London in 2004.
- Became first Indian actress to be listed in Time magazine 100 most influential in the world in 2004.
- Featured in Guinness Books of World Records in 2004 edition.
- Ran the Olympic torch relay in 2004.
- Became the first woman to reach Siachen Glacier in 2004 located at 13,000 ft. height in order to boost the morale of jawans.
- Mattel released a limited edition of Barbie dolls of Rai which were sold within minutes of its release in 2005.
- British magazine Maxim ranked Rai first in their list of Hottest Women of India.
- Became the first woman and second person from Asia to be honored with British Government Next Step World Diversity Champion Award in 2005.
- Won Global Diversity award in 2005.
- Voted number 12 in VH1's 50 Sexiest Actresses of the Last 20 Years in 2005.
- First Indian actor to officially declare the opening of 2005 Cannes Film Festival.
- A Tulip at the Keukenhof Gardens in the Netherlands named as Aishwarya Rai.
- Ranked 9th in the Harpers and Queen's list of Most Beautiful Women in The World in 2005.
- People listed Rai in Beauties Around the Globe in 2006.
- The first actress from India to have made a poster of her for all schools and libraries across America.
- First and only Indian actress who appeared on CBS 60 Minutes, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Good Morning America, The Tyra Banks Show, Sir David Frost's The Frost Interview, Martha Stewart's show Martha and the Late Show with David Letterman.
Watch her on her first interview with Oprah Winfrey!
- Ranked third in the list of Asia's Sexiest Women, prepared by UK magazine, Easter Eye in 2006.
- Voted as the seventh sexiest celebrity in the world by E! Entertainment Television, an American cable television.
- Only Bollywood celebrity in the Most Desired Women List with Rank of 27 prepared by AskMen.com in 2008.
- E! Entertainment Television, an American cable television listed Rai's eyes as the sexiest on their Sexiest Body Parts list.
- Highest ranked Indian actor in a list of 1,411 actors made by Forbes in 2009.
- In 2009, Rai became the first Goodwill Ambassador of Smile Train, an international charity that provides free Cleft lip and palate surgery to children in need. In March 2018, the team celebrated the completion of free cleft surgeries treatment of 5,00,000 children.
- Only Indian Actress to be featured in Time Magazine’s Global Women Power-pack in 2010.
- Selected as the most beautiful Miss World ever for the second time in 2010 by the Global Beauties Magazine.
- She and Abhishek Bachchan were recognized by E! News Asia as the Most Powerful Celebrity Couple in Asia in 2010.
- Voted as the second Most Attractive woman in 2011 by Hello Magazine.
- Listed as the most beautiful Indian woman across the globe and finished second in the worldwide list in a 2014 survey conducted by Hollywood Buzz.
- Topped a poll in Forever Desirable Women in the World in 2015, also becoming the first woman to enter this club.
- Invited by Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Oscars for a membership in 2017.
- Became first female actor to hoist the Indian National Flag at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne in 2017.
- Listed in top 20 World's Most Admired Women, a survey conducted by YouGov.
- Honored for her long run (15 years) as a brand ambassador for L'Oreal.
- MsMojo listed Rai as the no. 1 in the top 10 best dressed at the Cannes 2018. Her butterfly outfit took 3,000 hours to make.
Media Honours, Recognitions and Polls
- Named no. 1 in the list of the 100 Most Beautiful Indian Women in the Past Century, made by The Times of India in 2002.
- Voted the Most Desired Dream Date in 2005.
- Took number 1 position in Top 10 Actresses of 2006 made by BollySpice.com.
- Listed in Femina's 50 Beautiful People in 2009.
- Selected in the list of Most Influential Indian Women made by Verve magazine in 2009.
- Ranked second in The Times of India's 50 most desirable women in 2010.
- Voted as Ideal Celebrity Mother in Bollywood by online participants of a survey conducted by matrimonial site Shaadi.com in 2012.
- Voted as the most popular actress in Femina 100 years of cinema issue in 2013. Rai became the second only female in the top 5 global icon list made by Forbes in the same issue.
- Best of Filmfare - Iconic women who shaped our movie dreams in 2013.
- Topped the list of 20 most searched successful Indian women on Google in 2014.
- Voted as the best dressed at Cannes 2015 securing 50.53% votes.
- Listed in 19 Most Successful Women Achievers by Outlook magazine in 2016.
- Listed no. 1 as India's most beautiful women by Femina in 2017.
- Named Most Powerful Girl of Showbiz in Bollywood by Filmfare in 2017.
- Listed in India's Most Beautiful Woman 2018 made by Femina.
- Won Readers Choice Best Dressed of The Week and Critics Choice Best Dressed of The Week for her dressing on Day 5 and 6 at Cannes 2018.
Aishwarya Rai Favourites
Aishwarya Rai Favourites Food Chicken curry and Chocolates Drink Tea, Coca-Cola, coffee, lime and honey in a hot water Clothes Structure jackets and form fitting gowns for formal wear and chikan salwaar kameez for casual wear. Jeans and T-shirt do very well too Color Black, Blue, White Director Actor Movie Casablanca Vehicle Mercedes, Toyota Celica Music Any soft music Book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho Holiday Spot France, Dubai, South Africa
Aishwarya Rai Television
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan made her Television debut when she was in 9th grade with Camlin exam pencils advertisement. Post which, she appears in several Television advertisements.
Aishwarya Rai Education
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan pursued her schooling in Arya Vidya Mandir High School. She studied Intermediate at Jai Hind College for a year and then resumed her education in DG Ruparel College, Matunga to score 90 percent in HSC exams.
As she had a keen interest in Zoology, she wanted to make a career in medicine. Later, she wanted to become an architect and so enrolled herself at Rachana Sansad Academy of Architecture, but left it to pursue a career in modeling.
Aishwarya Rai Endorsements
After making her Television debut in 9th grade for Camlin exam pencils, Rai grabbed eyeballs when she featured in a Pepsi advertisement along with Aamir Khan and Mahima Chaudhry in 1993. She became instantly famous for her line “Hi, I am Sanjana!” present in the commercial. She is the only actress to have worked for Pepsi and Coca-Cola commercials. Rai is one of the top brand ambassadors' in this country and is one of the top paid Bollywood actresses when it comes to endorsements. She has been named as the second most popular watch brand ambassador across the world in a survey conducted by World Watch Report.
Rai is the official brand ambassador of De Beers diamonds India. She and her husband Abhishek Bachchan have been named as the brand ambassadors by the TTK Group. She also endorses Lodha’s Worli project by Lodha Group World One.
Rai has spread awareness about storing stem cells that can be used to fight several diseases in life. She has modelled for Casio Pager and Philips too.
Here are various top brands for which she acted in TV commercials.
- Palmolive Extra Care
- Fair & Lovely
- Titan Watches
- Cinthol Satin
- Lakme Cosmetics
- Radha's-the Home of Eastern Fashion
- Colgate Gel
- Longines Watches
- Kalyan Jewellers
- Fuji Film
- Nakshatra Diamond Jewellery
- Nakshatra Diamond Jewellery
- Kalyan Jewellers
Aishwarya Rai Trivia & Facts
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is one of the pretty actresses in the world. Though she is globally popular, some facts about her are lesser-known. Let's check them out below.
- During the making of Dola Re song, Rai's ears started bleeding due to her heavy earrings, but she continued to perform.
- While Rai was studying at Jai Hind College, her English professor clicked several photographs, which were published in a fashion magazine. Different advertisement agencies spotted them and hence she received advertisement offers.
- She auditioned to do voice-dubbing for a Television serial but was rejected.
- In April 2003, Rai suffered a fracture in her foot and severe cuts when a car driven by a stuntman got out of control on the sets of Khakee.
- Though she does various photoshoots with jewelry, Rai admitted that she is not fond of jewelry.
- Rai has over 17,000 websites dedicated to her.
- While the world is crazy about Rai's beauty, Oscar-winner Hollywood actress Julia Roberts said, "Aishwarya Rai is the most beautiful woman in the world."
- Rai is the first and only Indian star to have appeared twice on The Oprah Winfrey Show.
Aishwarya Rai Social Service
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has pledged to donate her beautiful eyes. She along with actor Om Puri have come forward and urged people to donate their eyes. Rai is the brand ambassador of The Eye Bank Association of India's nationwide campaign to donate eyes for the social cause.
In 2005, Rai was chosen as the brand ambassador of Pulse Polio, a campaign established by Government of India in order to eradicate polio in 1994 in India. She was also appointed as the spokesperson of International Year of Microcredit, which raises awareness regarding the main goals and priorities of United Nations' poverty alleviation efforts.
Rai raised money for the victims affected by 2004 Tsunami by performing with other Bollywood stars at the HELP! Telethon Concert in February 2004. In the company of her Bachchan family, Rai laid the foundation of a school for the underprivileged girls in Daulatpur, Uttar Pradesh in 2008. The construction for this school is being funded by the Bachchan family and the school will be named after Rai. She appeared in the closing ceremony of 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne along with many Bollywood actors.
Rai supports PETA India. In November 2004, Rai set up Aishwarya Rai Foundation that helps the people in need in India. She was appointed as the first Goodwill Ambassador of Smile Train, an international charity that provides free Cleft lip and palate surgery to children in need. Apart from India, Smile Train works in 76 developing countries.
In September 2012, Rai joined United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Hollywood actor Michael Douglas to commemorate the International Day of Peace in New York. She was also appointed as the new international Goodwill Ambassador for UNAIDS, the joint United Nations program on AIDS and HIV, through which she raises awareness for protecting children from AIDS.
Aishwarya Rai Affairs
In 1999, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan began dating Salman Khan. They were spotted in public in a cheerful relationship until 2002 when the duo separated. Rai cited that abuse in the form of verbal, physical and emotional, infidelity and indignity on part of Khan as the reason behind ending the relationship.
Having worked together in four films namely Dhai Akshar Prem Ke, Kuch Naa Kaho, Bunty Aur Babli, and Umrao Jaan together, Abhishek Bachchan fell in love with Aishwarya Rai while shooting for Dhoom 2. Their engagement was announced on 14 January 2007, which was later confirmed by Amitabh Bachchan. Rai married Bachchan on 20 April 2007 according to the Hindu rites of the Bunt community, to which Rai belongs. North Indian and Bengali ceremonies were also held. The wedding was a private ceremony that took place at Bachchan residence, Prateeksha, in Juhu, Mumbai. Rai is very close to her mother's family and lived with them in Bandra, Mumbai until her marriage.
Check out Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's wedding pictures below:
Rai is a Hindu and is deeply religious. Her international fame became widespread when Abhishek Bachchan joined Rai at the Cannes Film Festival shortly after her marriage. Rai attended 83rd Academy Awards along with her husband Abhishek Bachchan and appeared as a couple on The Oprah Winfrey Show on 28 September 2009.
Watch the couple having a hilarious conversation at The Oprah Winfrey Show.
Aishwarya and Abhishek were described as a couple more famous than Brangelina. They have been described as the super couple by the Indian media.
Watch Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai's Vogue photo shoot below.
Rai gave birth to a baby girl on 16 November 2011 and she was named as Aaradhya. Rai is often called as Ash and Aish by the media, but she has discouraged people from referring her by such names as she doesn't want to spoil her good name.
Aishwarya Rai Controversies
Controversies are part and parcel of every star's life and being a global star Aishwarya Rai also has her share of controversies.
- Rai sued a magazine Star and Style for ₹ 2 Crores after they published that Raveena Tandon had caught her and Akshay Kumar in a compromising position at the poolside of a five-star hotel.
- Rai had a controversial relationship with Salman Khan from 1999 to 2002. After she broke up, she began dating Vivek Oberoi. During this period, Khan had apparently called Oberoi 41 times at midnight and insulted him, which Oberoi revealed in public. Rai called Oberoi's behavior as immature. In reply to this, Oberoi said that there is plastic smile and plastic heart in the film industry.
- A 29-year-old man named Sangeeth Kumar from Andhra Pradesh claimed Rai to be his mother and said that he was born through IVF in London.
- As per the findings of the casting couch sting operation by Shakti Kapoor, he had alleged that Rai had traded sexual favors for a role in Subhash Ghai's movie. Later, Kapoor apologized and revealed that such allegations were a result of his anger.
- According to the buzz, during the making of Chalte Chalte, Salman Khan used to storm inside the sets causing trouble and so Shah Rukh Khan replaced Aishwarya Rai with Rani Mukerji in the film.
- Aishwarya was trolled for her purple lipstick at Cannes, but her husband Abhishek Bachchan was a pillar of support for his wife and praised her work.
- In 2011, Rai drew flak for making public appearances in her overweight look post-pregnancy. However, she silenced critics when she walked the red carpet of Cannes Film Festival in 2012.
- At Sarbjit premiere, Aishwarya was shocked when her husband Abhishek left her stranded in front of the paparazzi.
- Manisha Koirala had claimed that Rajeev Mulchandani had dumped Aishwarya Rai. Reacting to this Rai said that she feels no bitterness and no resentment towards Koirala.
- Apparently, Rai didn't want Sonam Kapoor to walk the red carpet of Cannes as the brand ambassador of L'Oreal. Giving it back to Rai, Kapoor called her Aunty. However, both seem to be on cordial terms now as Rai was seen at the wedding reception of Kapoor recently.
Aishwarya Rai Miscellaneous
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is every bit beautiful with her blue eyes, luscious lips, curves and feminine mannerisms, as cited by media.
Rai has appeared as herself in two documentaries. They are Bollywood im Alpenrausch and Bollywood: The Greatest Love Story Ever Told.
Check out some of her beautiful pictures below:
Aishwarya Rai Social Profiles
Your feedback helps us build a more accurate and exhaustive profile. If you have suggestions, fun facts, anecdotes to share, please let us know in the comments.