Andhadhun, the 2018 crime comedy thriller from Bollywood, is one of the Hindi films that was loved by audience across all languages. The film's taut screenplay with scenes that knock you off at unexpected junctures is the proof of solid filmmaking. And full credits to the lead man Ayushmann Khurrana and the lady Tabu who delivered mind-blowing performances. Ayushmann's National Award for the Best Actor is the proof of his craft.
The film is getting remade in Tamil and Telugu and we had already expressed that we are skeptic about them as we are yet to see if Prashanth (Andhadhun Tamil lead) and Nithiin (Andhadhun Telugu lead) could carry the heavy-duty role. However, we are quite hopeful that the hero roped in for the Malayalam remake, Prithviraj, could easily pull off the role of the blind pianist. And we can back it up with the points listed below.
- Prithviraj is always known to push his limits for his roles and he had time and again expressed his desire to take Malayalam cinema to the next level, to expand the territorial boundaries, vouched for doing pan-India films to gain more traction and profitability for the relatively small film industry.
- He is known to accept challenging films that have the scope to perform and not just get away with gimmicks and mass fights, punch lines as done by the neighboring industries' top heroes.
- Considered one of the sensible actors of the industry who has vast knowledge of not just films or filmmaking techniques, but who also keenly follows the latest trends in technology and incorporates innovative ideas in his films.
Prithviraj has 'n' films like an untitled 100% Virtual Production Project, Jana Gana Mana, Neelavelicham, Aadujeeitham, Star, Karachi 81, Cold Case, Kuruthi, Kaduva, Empuraan, Railway Guard, Theerppu, Star, Vaariyamkunnan, Meter Gauge, Ayyapan, etc., lined up. We mentioned 'n' because no hero of his stature has these many projects lined up. A jam-packed schedule for many years from now. So what is the necessity for signing a film that has proven to be one of the best thrillers from B-Town and that which has a fan base across India.
Andhadhun is titled BHRAMAM in Malayalam and we feel that the following may have attracted Prithvi towards the remake.
- It marks the Mollywood directorial debut of acclaimed cinematographer Ravi K Chandran, has award-winning editor Sreekar Prasad handling edits, Prithvi's favorite musician Jakes Bejoy handling music. Actors like Unni Mukundan, Mamtha Mohandas, Surabhi Lakshmi, Shankar, Jagadish and Sudheer Karamana play important characters in the film. So there is a highly TALENTED TEAM with their hands on the job.
- Prithviraj has not played a musician in any of his earlier films. So playing the role is going to be a challenging, something that gives him a high. Not just a musician, he plays a blind musician, a piano player, to be precise. He has not played a blind man's role either. Well, we are unsure if the team is staying loyal to the original though.
- Or did he feel that he has a reference to look up to and that he need not give THAT extra push as he usually does?
Well, we have no doubts that he chooses films wisely and BHRAMAM too is one such decision!
*Note: The team has not officially proclaimed Bhramam as the remake of Andhadhun.